Ingredients for making escalivada
2 large red bell peppers
1 large onion
½ cup balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp honey
2 cloves of garlic
Instructions for preparing escalivada
- Preheat the oven to 200 ºC. Wash and dry the peppers and aubergines and place them on a metal tray along with the onions. There’s no need to cut them.
- When the oven is heated, place the tray and let the vegetables roast for 20 minutes. Then turn them over and add two cloves of garlic. Leave everything in the oven for another 10 minutes. Then take the tray out and reserve.
- Remove the skin from the roasted garlic and smash it in a mortar. Then add the extra virgin olive oil and mix everything well.
- Heat the balsamic vinegar and honey mixed in a saucepan. Let it simmer for about 5 minutes and you will see how it reduces until it becomes a syrup. Remove it from the heat and reserve.
- Peel the peppers and aubergines and cut them into strips. Add salt to taste.
- Serve the roasted vegetables in a plate and add the garlic mixture with Treurer’s extra virgin olive oil on top. Garnish with the reduction of balsamic vinegar and honey.